Common Causes of Stress Eating
- Stuffingdown temporary uncomfortable feelings or emotions like loneliness, anger, fear,shame and resentment.
- Oldhabits, childhood habits such as receiving rewards like pizza or ice creamafter behaving good can often be carried over to adulthood. It may also bebrought by old memories like baking some cookies and cakes with your mom so you’redriven by cherished old memories.
- Boredom-You eat when you are bored or when you are feeling empty. Sometimes, the onlyway to keep you occupied is to eat. Eating can distract you from any underlyingfeelings of dissatisfaction with life.
- Stress-Chronis stress is chaotic. Chronis stress produces high levels of stresshormone called cortisol which triggers food cravings like sweet, salty andfried foods. These give you a burst of pleasure and energy. The more you arestressed, the more you turn into foods for relief.
- Socialfactor- Getting together with a bunch of people for a meal is a great way tohelp relieve stress. However, once you see them indulge with foods, you eatmindlessly too which can eventually lead to overeating. When you are nervous,you overeat too.
So, are you an emotional eater?
Ask yourself these questions:
- Do you eat even though you are not hungry?
- Do you eat even though you are already full?
- Do you eat more when you are feeling stressed?
- Do you eat just to feel better?
- Do you get out of control when you are around withfood?
- Do foods make you feel safe and better?
Then you are an emotional eater. Whatshould you do?
- When youare bored- watch your favourite TV show, read a book or do your hobby such asscrapbooking, playing an instrument.
- When youare lonely or depressed- call a friend, talk to someone who can make you feelbetter. Play with your pet.
- When youare exhausted- take a bath then have a nap. Delight yourself with a cup of hottea.
- When youare anxious- dance to your favouritesong, take a walk outside
- Practicemindful eating- you develop awareness of eating habit. Mindful eating allowsyou to pause between your triggers and your actions. You will have control overthe foods when the urge to eat hits you. You can resist temptations and youjust don’t give up on foods so easily.