The HCG Diet is great in many ways. It has amazing benefits for many men and women who are unable to shed unwanted fat. The one true benefit is its ability to modify the dieter’s relationship with foods and eating, resulting in a long-term weight loss that is easily maintained.
As with any other weight loss program and weight loss products, the HCG Diet comes with its own issue and side effects too, so know what to expect. Other than losing at least a pound or two a day, other side effects of the HCG Diet are very tolerable.
Common HCG Diet Side Effects and how to prevent them
Most of the common but tolerable side effects heard from HCG dieters are often experienced at the beginning of the weight loss phase. These include:
- Mild headaches: Headache is a side effect when you detoxify your body from sugars and caffeine. Dieters who don’t get adequate water throughout the day and drink sugary drinks or caffeinated beverages when they feel sluggish are most likely to get mild headaches when on the HCG Diet.
When your body experiences changes in the daily routine, you will notice changes and often times are not good. However, side effects like a mild headache are easily remedied. Mild headaches often go away after a few days too.
How to prevent mild headache?
- You can prevent mild headaches by drinking the recommended amount of water to keep your body hydrated.
- Drinking the required amount of water will not cleanse your body from sugar and caffeine but it also helps to ensure things keep moving.
- Drink green tea, at least 1 to 3 cups a day to help flush toxins out of your body while detoxing the sugar and caffeine that causes headaches.
- Fatigue: Fatigue can be normal when you are on the HCG diet. It’s not something that you can go away even if you are following different diet protocols. Reasons that you feel a bit weak, tired, dizzy, and nauseous especially during the first few days of phase 1 are due to:
- Carbohydrate withdrawal- When you cut carbohydrates out of your diet, you may experience carb withdrawal. Carb withdrawal is common not only to dieters on the HCG Diet but as well as to those who choose to follow a low-carb diet. For some dieters, carb withdrawal can be especially difficult as symptoms can last about a week. During carb withdrawal, you can feel extremely crappy. You feel tired, less energetic and your sugar craving is at the highest. You may experience headaches, mental fogginess, or muscle soreness.
- Electrolyte imbalances- During the first week of your diet you typically lost a lot of water weight which causes you to lose a lot of electrolytes. And even though you’ll drink a lot of water still you won’t be able to replenish the loss electrolytes.
- Released of toxins from fat- Toxins are stored in fat and when you lose weight you lose a lot of toxins out of your body and this can make you feel crappy. Your body is a bit overwhelmed by trying to get rid of the toxins out.
How to prevent fatigue?
- If you are experiencing carb withdrawal, you just have to grin and bear it till it passes. However, when you plan it right, prior to your HCG Diet, you can do something to lessen carb withdrawal symptoms. A week before you start your journey with the HCG Diet, simply start reducing your carbohydrate intake and start eating foods high in fat. Though this is not part of the protocol most dieters find that it does help in mitigating the symptoms. Doing this can also be very helpful for anyone with sugar cravings. The low carb and high fat intake can entirely cut the sugar cravings quickly.
- You can do so many things to help replenish the loss electrolytes. You can have sugar-free electrolyte drinks, mineral water, or simply add sea salt to your lemon water.
- As with mild headache, to help your body flush the toxins out, drink plenty of liquids. You can make detox water that has been infused with flavors of fresh herbs, veggies, and fruits.
- Dry mouth: Dry mouth or cotton mouth is another tolerable side effect on the HCG Diet especially during phase 2. If you have this side effect, there are certainly ways to alleviate the effect.
How to prevent dry mouth?
- The best thing that you can do to prevent this is to make sure you drink plenty of water. Always keep a glass of water handy particularly during night time. Keep on sipping water every five minutes to prevent your mouth from drying out.
- After you eat, rinse your mouth with warm water. Stay away from acidic and salty foods.
- Drink green tea instead of coffee. Drinking green tea 3 to 4 times a day can help improve the production of saliva.
- When you breathe be sure that you breathe through your nose and not through your mouth.
- Use a humidifier to add moisture to the air and to help you breathe properly.
- Leg cramps or spasm: Leg cramps or spasm is another common complaint on the HCG Diet due to electrolyte imbalance or lack of potassium.
How to prevent leg cramps?
- To get more potassium, include apple cider vinegar to your diet. The acetic acid in the vinegar can also help clear out your digestive tract, improving digestion, and maximize nutrient absorption.
- To replenish the loss electrolyte. Drink plenty of water. Try adding electrolyte powder to your drink or simply add some sea salt to your water.
Are there serious dangers when using HCG injections?
The side effects associated with the HCG diet are very mild and are not harmful in any way. However, just like any other diet program out there, the HCG Diet is no different when it comes to risk that could sometimes lead to serious problems. It is therefore advisable that you strictly adhere to the protocol to avoid any future issues. It is also advisable that you use only the pharmaceutical-grade HCG injections.