1. Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG)
HCG is a protein-based hormone produced by the placenta during pregnancy.It is present at high levels during the early pregnancy. This hormone is in fact used in the hormone pregnancy tests. HCG hormone was first used as a weight loss remedy. It was noted by several physicians that women who are overweight lost weight when they got pregnant. Moreover, dozens of medical studies have shown that HCG hormone, when combined with a low-calorie diet and exercise increases can boost metabolism and helps lose a large amount of fats without feeling hungry. HCG hormone is FDA approved for the treatments fertility issues but not as a weight loss tool. Only FDA drugs are allowed to use as an alternative drug. HCG is an “Off-label Usage” that common among medical professions. HCG is used in a very low dose for weight loss alongside a super-low-cal diet. The diet limits you to at 500 calories a day for 8 weeks while taking the hormone. You can get the hormone either by shot or by taking it as drops, pellets or sprays. The recommended daily injection for weight loss is somewhere between 125 iu to 175 iu. A good starting point is 150 iu but if you don’t have much weight to lose, try starting at 125 iu and go from there. HCG hormone is used in a much higher dose for fertility issues. A low dose of this hormone does not increase fertility. Some other benefits that you can get from using HCG include:
- Rapid loss of weight
- An increased in energy level
- Relief of back pain
- Relief from a migraine
HCG Diet can offer you a safe and rapid weight loss.
2. General Information
The HCG diet focuses on losing weight and to maintain the weight through the combination of the HCG injections and the very low calorie diet. In the very low calorie diet, one has to maintain only 500 calories per day while having the daily injections of the HCG hormone. This combination help resets the brain’s hypothalamus allowing one’s body to use the abnormal fats and converts these fats into energy. The combination also ensures a long-term weight loss. It was Dr. A.T.W Simeons, a British endocrinologist, who developed the HCG diet. It aids his obese patients in losing weight in order to avoid any deadly health conditions. His years of research and thousands of cases have led to the concept of the HCG Diet. Unlike other over-hyped and cosmetic diets of today, the HCG Diet is a healthier interpretation and implementation of losing weight. The HCG Diet focuses one’s attention on eating smaller portions of foods that are low in fats, carbohydrates and calories. This promotes a more long-term weight loss. The HCG Diet is not solely a diet for the purpose of losing weight but it’s a diet that is meant to promote a healthier lifestyle by making a careful choice of using foods that are low in fats. There are several protocols and variations of the original version of the HCG Diet. However, all the different variations have common limitations when it comes to food consumption. Those who are on the HCG Diet should either limit or omit foods such as starches, sweet fruits, milk and eggs when on the protocol. The use of products that contain a fatty substance such as lotion, conditioner and make-ups should be omitted.
3. The HCG Diet Preparations
Mental Preparations: Losing weight can be a very difficult task if you are not mentally prepared. Without a full understanding as to why you are doing the diet, you wouldn’t likely to succeed. Likewise, it would be very hard to stay committed and focused throughout the entire HCG diet protocol if you will not set your goals. Physical Preparations:
- Listing of foods allowed on the HCG DietThere is only a short list of foods allowed on the HCG diet that every dieter should know. Make an inventory of foods that will be required through the entire HCG Diet protocol. You may want to calculate the quantities too. Do not forget to buy approved HCG Diet spices and sweeteners too.
- Prepare the meal for the first week of the diet ahead of timePrepare the required portion of the meat ahead of time. Cook it thoroughly and then keep it refrigerated. Getting everything ready can make the first week of the diet easier and will make it easier for every dieter to stay committed to. You may use our recipes here that conform to your weight loss plan. Having different menus on your bucket list will prevent you from skipping your meals or to cheat. Pre-cook your meals ahead of time. You may grill your meat choices outside if the weather is fine. You can also sautéor bake your meat with the approved HCG Diet seasonings and spices. Your purpose in preparing your meat ahead of time is to be prepared. Instead of rushing down to your favorite restaurant, convenient store or vending machine, your pre-cook meals can be very handy. Just pair it with your vegetable and carbohydrate portion and your good to go. The food in your favorite restaurants can be very tempting but they can slow down your dieting process and you’ll likely to experience a plateau for 1 to 3 days. For some, they even lose enthusiasm and quit. You need to stay focused and always be prepared. The HCG diet is only days and not years. It is short but when done properly your weight will surely stay off.
- Know your goals and starting pointBefore you start doing the HCG diet, know your goals and stay committed to it. Keep track of your weight and the inches lost by weighing yourself every day. Do this in the morning right after waking up. Use a chart to help you keep track of your weight. For most people, the first 10 pounds are not noticeable. However, the following pounds will show significant results.
4. Frequently Asked Questions
- What is HCG and how does it work?HCG is a natural hormone produced by pregnant women. It is medically used in treating several conditions like infertility issues. HCG hormone allows the body of pregnant women to metabolize fats and use it as energy by both the mother and the fetus. HCG is also used in weight loss but only on a very small amount. This hormone is used to capitalize the same mechanism as pregnant women.
- Is HCG safe?HCG is totally safe. In fact, HCG has no adverse effect on pregnant women even at a very high level during pregnancy. Until now, there is still no established clinical side effect to this hormone. However, we still recommend that you consult first with your doctor before you start with your diet using HCG.
- How much weight can I lose doing the HCG diet?Most dieters lose about 25 lbs. to 35 lbs. doing the 40-day cycle. But not all dieters are the same. It depends on many factors such as how much excess weight you have and how much excess weight do you need to lose. You usually lose around 7lbs. to 10 lbs. in a week.
- Will I get hungry during the very low calorie diet of HCG?Being hungry during the first few days of your diet with HCG is just normal. It will pass and by the second week, you’ll find your serving to be quite satisfying. Your appetite is reducedbecause the hormone is already doing its job of metabolizing your excess fats and turns it into useful energy. Even with limited calorie intake, your body will use the energy stored in the fat cells.
- Can I take HCG even after 42 days so I can keep on losing weight?Yes, you can. Provided that you need to take a break of about 2 weeks after the 42 days before you can proceed with the second round. This will ensure that your body will not develop immunity to the hormone. For your first round, you need 1 vial of HCG of 5000 IU and another vial for the next round. You need to keep in mind that on the last 3 days of the plan, do not have HCG but you need to continue with your very low calorie diet. This is to flush out the remaining hormones in your body before you go to the next phase. Once you’re on the maintenance phase, you can resume with your exercise and you may as well increase your calorie intake from 1200-1500 calories per day provided that you avoid sweet and fatty foods.
- What should I do if my weight loss plateaus?If you will experience plateaus when on the HCG diet do the following:
- You may increase your water consumption from ½ to 1 gallon a day. Or you may as well drink some green tea.
- If you are mixing your vegetable portions then stop.
- Try laxative tea if you are having constipation. Having a bowel movement once every 3 – 4 days is not uncommon on the HCG diet. If your weight loss has hit a plateau for more than 5 to 6 days, then try to have an “apple day”. During this day, you may eat 6 apples within the 24 hours with nothing else except water.
- Will it be fine if I will skip a protein during one of my meal?Skipping neither a protein nor a meal during the HCG diet is a big NO. Do not ever skip a meal. Not even a protein choice. It’s very vital to eat all the 500 calories especially the protein.
- Why don’t pregnant women lose weight if HCG works well for weight loss?HCG only works well in utilizing the excess fats when there is a decrease in calories and fats. That is why in weight loss, it is used alongside a very low calorie diet in order to trigger the hormone to help rid of the fats in the body.
- Is HCG safe for men?HCG is safe for men. In fact, HCG is naturally present in their body. HCG is found in every human tissue that includes both men and women, even those who are not pregnant. Men who have been using this hormone in their diet even get a faster weight loss result. The even tend to lose more weight than women.
- Am I going to experience a slow metabolism once I am on the very low calorie diet?It is natural that your metabolism slows down when you cut back on calories and fats. This is because your body starts to store fats. When HCG is used alongside the very low calorie diet, the hormone will signal your body to use the stored fats as a source of energy. This is actually a natural process that won’t have negative effects on the body’s metabolism. The HCG hormone prevents your body from going into a starvation mode and uses the reserve fats while it resets the metabolism.
- Will I lose the same amount of weight eating a very low calorie diet even without the HCG?You will lose weight when on a very low calorie diet. However, without the HCG on your system, you will likely to lose only muscles and bone mass. This is because during the deprivation mode, your body stores fats. There is no hormone that will signal your body to use the extra fats as a source of energy. This also causesyour cellular metabolism to slow down. In the long run, you’ll be gaining weight a lot easier. HCG combined with the very low calorie diet helps you get rid of your excess fats without affecting your muscle and your bones.
- Does HCG interfere with any medications?HCG does not interact with any medication that includes birth control pills.
- Will my menstrual cycle be affected while taking HCG?Your menstrual cycle will not be affected because the amount of HCG in your system is very small. HCG will not also affect your ability to become pregnant. The best time to start with your HCG diet is after your menstrual period. When you are on the HCG and you happen to have your menstrual cycle, you can maintain the diet and continue having the HCG.
- What about pregnancy and taking HCG?Do not take HCG if you are pregnant. If you become pregnant while on the HCG diet, stop right away and see your doctor.
- After the first two weeks, will my weight loss slow down?You will likely to lose a lot of weight during the first few days of your diet because they are mostly water weight. However, by the end of your second week, you’ll experience a plateau for 1 to 3 days. But this does not mean that your weight has stopped. Besides, there’s a plateau breaker that can help you get back on track. While on the program, you typically lose some inches off your body and after some time, you’ll likely to experience another large drop on the scale. Weight loss is thus achieved on a stair-step fashion.
- Is exercise during the HCG diet allowed?You can only do light exercise during your very low calorie diet on the HCG. However, you can only do low key exercise. You can do at least 20 minutes walking or a few sit-ups. Heavy exercise burns calories and this may cause your hunger level to increase. This can negatively impact your commitment and stamina to the diet.
- Do I need to take vitamin supplements while doing the diet?When on the HCG diet, we recommend that you take vitamin B12 everyday. Vitamin B12 helps influences a series of fundamental processes in your body. Vitamin B12 sublingual is the recommended B12 supplement because it is readily absorbed in your body. You do not have to rely on digestion for absorption. You may also take sugar-free multivitamins, potassium, calcium and magnesium supplement.
- Can I wear make-up?Well, yes you can but try to avoid oil-based make-ups, lotions and moisturizers because HCG is very sensitive to oils, fats and creams. These can slow down the weight loss process. You can use mineral make-ups and pressed powder and oil-free foundations. Stay away from lip glosses and Chapstick. You can use Carmex instead if your lips get dry.
- Are headaches normal during the HCG diet?Headaches are quite normal especially during the first few days of the diet. This is because you are using the energy from the fat cells which your body is not used with and you are going through a major detoxification. For a headache, you may take a medication that is not sugar coated like Aspirin and Tylenol.
- Is alcohol allowed on the HCG diet?Drinking alcoholic beverage is not mentioned in Dr. Simeons original protocol. However, it was found out that those who drink alcohol while on the HCG diet surprisingly does well on the HCG diet. The HCG diet can get drinkers and even those who are borderline alcoholic out of their drinking routine as long as if they strictly follow the HCG diet protocol.
5. The 23 and 46 day cycle
The HCG Diet Protocol
|The 23 Day Cycle ||PHASE 1 – Days 1- 2 ||·Gorging Days with ·hCG Injections |
|PHASE 2 – Days 3-23 ||·hCG Injections ·500 Calorie Diet |
|PHASE 3 – Days 24-26 ||·500 Calorie Diet only ·No injections |
|The 40 Day Cycle ||PHASE 1 – Days 1- 2 ||·Gorging Days with ·hCG Injections |
|PHASE 2 – Days 3-40 ||·hCG Injections ·500 Calorie Diet |
|PHASE 3 – Days 41-43 ||·500 Calorie Diet only ·No injections |
The HCG diet “Gorging days” and why? Gorging days or commonly known as loading days is phase 1 of the HCG diet.It includes a two day stretch where you consume calorie dense foods to satisfaction. This phase is very important because this phase will set your hypothalamus gland in balance. But do not worry because whatever you’ve gained during the gorging days will be lost very quickly! Check this blog out to know more about the what and how’s of the HCG diet “Gorging days”. You may also use our quick list of allowable foods on the HCG diet when you shop and prepare for your meals. Here is a sample meal plan on phase 2 of the HCG diet. For breakfast: Coffee or tea. Other option includes water with lemon juice sweetened with Stevia For lunch: 100 grams or 3.5 oz of protein serving, 100 grams of vegetable choice, one fruit and one Melba toast or a Grissini stick Snack: Fruit, low carb choice For dinner: 100 grams or 3.5 oz of protein serving, 100 grams of vegetable choice, one fruit and one Melba toast or a Grissini stick
6. HCG diet Phases
The HCG diet Phase 2: Day 3-23 or 46 day The phase 2 of the HCG diet is the most challenging yet exciting part of the diet. This phase is also known as the very low calorie diet phase where you will only consume 500 calories a day. During this phase, your body will get used with using those stored abnormal fats as a source of energy. The foods are specific. You can only consume the approved HCG diet foods. No bread, sugars and fatty foods allowed.Apples, oranges, lemons strawberries and lime are just some of the most common fruit you’ll turn into when you’re hungry. Your protein components will mostly be white fish and chicken. Vegetables like tomatoes, lettuce, and spinach will give you fibers and vitamins. You can also have beef for your protein choice as long as it is extra lean. The HCG diet Phase 3: The Maintenance Phase Just like the gorging days and phase 2 of the HCG diet, this phase is very vital. The main goal of this phase is for your body to maintain a metabolic balance with your new weight. Phase 3 of the HCG diet lasts for 3 weeks right after your last day of the very low calorie diet. During the Phase 3 of the HCG diet, you will increase your calorie intake to 1500 calories per day. You may now begin to eat any meats, fruits and vegetables. You can now consume milk, cheese and low sugar dairy products as long as they are healthy foods. However, you should avoid consuming a significant amount of starches like potatoes and corn. Exercise is encouraged at this phase. You may begin to do some regular workout routine of both aerobic and anaerobic exercises. Try doing light weight exercises with higher repetitions and at least 30 minutes of cardio a day. If you wish to do vigorous activities, you must consult first with your physician. You can start reintroducing back healthy oils into your body like extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil and flaxseed oil. Avoid using unhealthy oils like shortening and vegetable oils. You may also consume butter lightly.During this phase, you are allowed to use make-up, moisturizers and lotions. Once this phase is complete, you may start consuming back foods with sugar, starches and carbs but in moderation.We recommend oats, grains and wheat bread. Avoid heavy sugar and starches like potatoes, yams and rice. Avoid hydrogenated oils too which are usually found in pastries and canned goods. As much as possible stay away from processed foods and high fructose syrup such as those found in soda, fruit drinks and canned fruits. Continue to weigh yourself daily. During and after this phase you should not gain weight. You can at least gain about 2 pounds within Phase 3. However, once you will gain more than 2 pounds, observed a “steak day” the day you’ll notice a weight gain. Check this blog out for the steak day. The HCG diet Phase 4 Phase 4 of the HCG diet is a lifetime maintenance program. Introduce starches back into your diet slowly and remember to keep sugar to a minimum. Continue consuming protein but stay away from fast foods and processed foods. Continue to weight yourself every day and if you have gained weight beyond your set baseline weight, use the steak day.
7. The HCG Diet History
The rest of the “skinny” on the hCG diet… HCG diet actually starts after the 2nd day of injecting the hormone. This is the phase where you will consume only 500 calories per day. The HCG diet history begins with Dr. A.T.W Simeons of Rome, Italy. He graduated at the University of Heidelberg and settled in Rome at the Salvatore Mundi International Hospital. Dr. Simeon is an author, a scientist and a researcher who developed the HCG Diet. His research on HCG hormone as weight loss component covered forty years of grappling with the central problem of being overweight. He investigated every theory, method and promising lead. Dr. Simeon carefully experiments and evaluated each theory. Upon his death in 1970 he stated: “The protocol [the hCG diet] was everything that I hoped it would be — no hunger, no food cravings, no grumpiness, no feeling of deprivation, no fatigue, a dramatic reshaping of the body with the burning of the secure problem area fat deposits.” He then wrote his findings in his book “Pounds and Inches”. His book can give readers a thorough understanding of how the diet came to be and what HCG diet is all about. As Dr. Simeons writes in the Foreword of his book: “This book discusses a new interpretation of the nature of obesity and while it does not advocate yet another fancy slimming diet it does describe a method of treatment which has grown out of theoretical considerations based on clinical observation.” He came up with a conclusion that all cases of weight loss measures like using a laxative, dieting, exercises, appetite-reducing drugs, baths, massage are all temporary. None of the measures corrects the basic disorder. Through the HCG diet, the basic disorder is addressed, targeted and finally controlled. Fats are the enemy of everyone trying to lose weight. Fats are not just fats. There are actually three kinds of fats and the HCG diet deals with these three.
- Structural Fat:This fat fills the gaps between various organs in the body. It is very important because it has numerous uses in the body such asbedding the kidneys in soft elastic tissue. It also providesa cushion under the bones of the feet. An excess amount of structural fats in the body does not contribute to obesity.
- Normal Fats: This is the fat found directly under the skin. Our body utilizes this fat most easily when there is a lesser intake of nutrition than what the body demands. Normal fat is deposited all over the body and is easy to burn with exercise. This kind of fat does not contribute to obesity.
- Abnormal Fats: This is the most dangerous kind of fat. An excess amount of this fat can cause obesity and a number of diseases. Abnormal fats are deposited all around the body. It accumulates the buttocks, hips, stomach, face and other parts of the body.
Abnormal fat is not available to the body duringa nutritional emergency like Normal Fat. The body cannot access abnormal fat easily that is why it is so difficult to lose this kind of fat even with exercise. When one goes on a diet by starving, they will lose their normal fat first. When this fat is exhausted, the body starts to burn the structural fat next. Then as a last resort, the body will yield the abnormal fat. When this happens, the dieter feels weak, tired, famished, haggard and hungry. But their hips, belly, thigh and upper arm only shows little improvement because they lose only the normal fat. The abnormal fat remains the same. Their skin becomes wrinkled and they look miserable. Dr. Simeons believed that this experience is one of the most depressing and frustrating experiences. Being overweight too has psychological effects. Those who are overweight can only feel physically well if they are not gaining any weight at all. They may, however, feel horrified by the appearances of their body when on a tight-fitting clothes or when they are nude. Being overweight is a vicious cycle. When you are overweight, you need more food to keep your body warm. But when you are just lean, you only need a small amount of food to keep your body at a certain temperature. That means to say if an overweight person eats only the foods that his body requires then he’ll be able to keep the weight stationary. However, this wasn’t through at all. Many physicians have studied overweight patients under controlled conditions found out that overweight patients actually gain weight on a diet. At this, Dr. Simeons concluded that there was something missing. “There must be some other mechanism at work”. In an effort to unravel the mystery of the “other condition”, several studies have been conducted but were later abandoned. There were also a lot of theories regarding why someone is overweight but it was not the missing piece of the puzzle that Dr. Simeons was looking for. He then traveled to India. There he found doctors giving hCG to overweight patients with large hips, thigh and buttocks. He became curious and begin his first study of hCG.He observed that the Indian doctors were giving their patients small daily doses of the hormone. The result showed that their ravenous appetite disappeared and their hips also change. The abnormal fat deposit from their hips disappeared. Their body was slowly using the abnormal fats as fuel. For Dr. Simeons, HCG was the “other mechanism”. It’s the secret to the diet’s success story. Medically defined, HCG or Human Chorionic Gonadotropin is a naturally occurring hormone produced in the placenta of pregnant women.Dr. Simeons found out that by restricting the diet to 500 calories combined with a small dose of hormone, patients can achieve the best results. In fact, patients can lose an average of 1 pound a day. They have reduced appetite and could go comfortably with their normal routines. It was also perfectly evident that only the abnormal fats were consumed. There were no signs of normal fat depletion. Their figures became entirely normal and their skin does not sag. Dr. Simeons also explained that women who are pregnant do not become obese. This is because their bodies are under the influence of an enormous amount of hCG that circulates around their bodies. Therefore, abnormal fat deposit does not form. Right after giving birth, the body becomes deprived of hCG and abnormal fats start to deposit. HCG was initially used to diagnose an early pregnancy by testing the urine. It has now been medically used for more than eighty years. It has no effects on normal sex glands of male and female. It’s not a sex hormone. Pregnant women produce HCG hormone for more than one million IUs (International unit) a day. On the HCG diet, dieters use only around 125 IU to 200 IU a day. This dosage does not change whether you weigh more or less than 150 pounds. Patients who weigh more or less than 150 pounds also follow the same very low calorie diet intake per day. Now the toughest and the most essential part to your success- the strict adherence to the 500 calorie diet. Here, only approved HCG diet foods are allowed to eat. But what’s good with this diet, you will NOT be hungry! The HCG hormone will reduce your food craving. The minimum HCG diet treatment is 26 days even if you need to lose just 5 pounds. Here, you will receive 23 injections followed by 3 days of diet but without injections. If you have more pounds to lose, you may continue the diet up to 43 days until you lose 34 pounds. You can do another cycle of 23 or 43 days but you need to rest for 6 weeks before you can start. Just follow the protocol exactly as instructed and you will be more than satisfied with the result.
8. Where to inject?
The needle used in injecting the hormone is so small that it does not reach the muscle. It can only penetrate the skin and into the fats. There are several areas that you can inject yourself. These are:
- The stomach
- The arms
- The buttocks
- The thighs
How to inject?
- Before injecting make sure that what you need are all set. That includes the vial that contains the hormone, alcohol swab and the injection.
- Before injecting wash your hands with soap and water then towel it dry.
- Choose your injection site and wipe it with an alcohol swab.
Week 1 to 3 after the HCG Diet This is the maintenance phase. After completing the 23-day or the 43-day diet plan, you can eat all foods except sugars and starches because your body needs to adjust to your Abnormal Fat Loss. While on this phase, continue weighing yourself every morning. Week 4 to 6 after the HCG Diet Continue with the maintenance phase but start introducing back sugar and starches. However, they should be in a small quantity only. Continue weighing yourself in the morning. 6 weeks after the HCG Diet If you were not able to reach your weight loss goal after the 1st cycle of the HCG diet you can continue with the 2nd cycle. This is just the same with the 1st cycle. You can continue with another cycle until you reach your weight loss goal. Just make sure that you have your HCG diet break of 6 weeks in between each cycle.
9. The HCG Diet Approved Foods Calorie Counter
Very Lean Beef (average of 52 calories) 93/7 Lean Ground Beef (3.5 oz) – 150 calories Sirloin Tip Side Steaks (3.5 oz) – 130 calories Bison (3 oz) – 98 calories Cube Steak (3.5 oz) – 160 calories Top Round Steak (3.5 oz) – 166 calories Veal (avg 114 calories) Tri-Tip Steak (3.5 oz) – 154 calories Veal, loin chop (3.5 oz) – 117 calories Veal, sirloin (3.5 oz) – 110 calories Seafoods (average of 98 calories) Cod (3.5 oz) – 83 calories Flounder (3.5 oz) – 90 calories Crab Meat (3.5 oz) – 100 calories Haddock (3.5 oz) – 88 calories Lobster (3.5 oz) – 98 calories Halibut (3.5 oz) – 110 calories Red Snapper (3.5 oz) – 110 calories Tilapia (3.5 oz) – 94 calories Shrimp (3.5 oz) – 110 calories Chicken (average of 87 calories) Chicken Breast (3.5 oz) – 87 calories Vegetables (average of 18.8 calories) Asparagus (3.5 oz) – 20 calories Asparagus (2” tip) – 1 calories Asparagus (small spear) – 2 calories Asparagus (medium spear) – 3 calories Asparagus (large spear) – 4 calories Beet Greens (1 cup raw)-8 calories Broccoli- 34 calories Cauliflower- 22 calories Celery (3.5 oz) – 15 calories Celery (medium stalk) – 6 calories Cabbage (3.5 oz) – 24 calories Cabbage (1 cup shredded) – 17 calories Chard, Swiss raw (1 cup)-7 calories Chicory (1 head)- 9 calories Cucumber (3.5 oz) – 12 calories Cucumber (small) – 19 calories Cucumber (medium) – 24 calories Cucumber (large) – 34 calories Cucumber (English long) – 60 calories Fennel (1 cup,sliced)- 27 calories Green beans (3/4 cup, cut)- 20 calories Green onions- 25 calories Green sweet pepper- 20 calories Lettuce, all varieties (3.5 oz) – 10 cal. Lettuce, all varieties (1 cup) – 8 cal. Lettuce, all varieties (small head) – 32 calories Onions (medium yellow, raw)- 64 calories Red Radishes (3.5 oz) – 12 calories Red Radishes (one medium) – 1 cal. Spinach, raw (3.5 oz) – 20 calories Spinach, raw (1 cup) – 7 calories Spinach, frozen (3.5 oz) – 23 calories Spinach, frozen (1 cup) – 41 calories Spinach, cooked (3.5 oz) – 31 calories Spinach, cooked (1 cup) – 48 calories Tomato (3.5 oz) – 20 calories Tomato (cherry) – 3 calories Tomato (plumb) – 11 calories Tomato (small) – 16 calories Tomato (medium) – 22 calories Tomato (large) – 33 calories Fruit Apple (small) – 55 calories Apple (medium) – 72 calories Apple (large) – 110 calories Blackberries (1 cup)- 62 calorie Blue Berries (1 cup)- 83 calories Grapefruit (1/2 cup)- 40 calories Lemon- 24 calories Lime- 20 calories Orange (navel) – 69 calories Orange (Florida) – 65 calories Orange (California) – 59 calories Strawberries, 12 large – 72 calories Strawberries, 20 medium – 80 calories Pink Grapefruit (1/2 large) – 53 calories Pink Grapefruit (1/2 med.) -41 calories Pink Grapefruit (Florida) – 74 calories Bread Grissini Breadstick (3 g) – 12 calories Melba Toast (3 gram) – 12 calories Melba Toast (5 gram) – 20 calories